Skip to main content

Could this be my first...?

What's up Nixers! In today's blog, I want to discuss with you the things that I did these past two weeks. After my encounter with my colleague, Adonis, one of our discussions focused on the creation of an app that would help ease students' struggles. He was very passionate about an app for a civil engineering application involving beams under load. As our discussions went on, I do acknowledge that if that particular app would be realized, it would really benefit civil engineering students in a profound way. What I liked about the discussion was how the app was described. Like, if I put my self in the user's perspective, the user interface which he discussed would be "user-friendly" as he really understands the flow of how things are to be calculated.

As we left and went each other's ways, I was inspired by an idea to create an app utilizing the python programs that I have already developed for statistics. Like, how useful would it be for students to guide them in their endeavors. If they are asking these things in tutoring websites, what if I could bring that tutor-like explanation in their pockets! That's where the idea of "ShinStats" came about! A combination of my pseudonym as a tutor in Coursehero and Stats which really is about making statistics understandable for students. 

It is also funny how I started to tutor in Coursehero with the intent to help Electronics engineering students in Electronics engineering stuff but found that there was less demand for questions in this subject because, probably, electronics engineering students really finds their own way of solving their problems and not rely heavily on tutoring websites. And, so, with the little knowledge that I have about Statistics and Probability, I ticked that box and started tutoring on the subject. At first, I was dumbfounded by the questions and just focused on answering those that I have prior knowledge upon. Later, I took a leap of faith on questions that I still have to study because I found that these questions are coming back a lot, and I said to my self that if I can find a way to deal with this one question now, I will now be able to solve similar questions in the future. And then, came my frustration about solving the same problem but taking a lot of time since I still have to write the same procedures all over again. That was when I have to wear my programming "hat" and learn coding to streamline my process in solving problems. It was quite a challenge considering I have to work as a tutor and then after that code. But all was worth it in the end when I was able to use the programs that I have made and become more efficient as a tutor.

Going back, so what kept me busy these past days? Here it is!






And when we click the View Solution button, the magic happens!


Voila! Most of the descriptive statistics with step-by-step calculation at a click of a button! There is still some modifications that needs to be done. (1) To delete the big space before and after the boxplot (2) To find a way to create a webviewer within the application such that when the View button is clicked, the solution will be rendered within the app and not opened on another browser. That would make it more integrated. (3) The next option would be to convert the html webpage to a pdf and view this pdf within the app. Again, the main purpose of these modifications is for everything to happen within the application. (4) Present the application to its intended users. Got to get back to work. It's sign off for now.

Comments